Who is Community First?
Community First is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit founded by Barry Taniguchi in 2014. Today it is led by Toby Taniguchi and a volunteer board of community leaders. It serves as a neutral forum for the community to come together and as a catalyst for solutions to improve health and lower medical costs on Hawai’i lsland based on the community good.
The fundamental problem is that we think healthcare is treating disease. Health care is taking care of health. This is a paradigm shift that only a community can achieve.
A community where we not only take personal responsibility for our own health, but help each other care for our mutual well-being.
A sustainable medical and social service system which provides quality care for all the people of Hawai’i Island.
Own Your Health
1. Tip the idea of healthcare from treating disease to caring for health through grassroots, community initiatives.
- Advanced Health Care Directives
- Know Your Numbers
- Blood Pressure Educators
- Barry Taniguchi Medical Subsidy Program
- Hawaii Island Health Coalition
- Monthly Column
2. Create trust and collaboration so that the community, particularly the medical and social service providers, can work together to realize the Triple Aim of better health, better care, and lower costs.
- Global Budget Initiative (GBI)
- Complex Patient Centered Medical Home (C-PCMH)
- Community Action Network
- Community Quality Assurance (QA) Committee
- Hui Pono, Ornish Lifestyle Medicine
Board of Directors
Toby Taniguchi- President and Chairperson
President, KTA Super Stores
Susan Mochizuki- Vice President
Executive Director, Big Island Docs/East Hawaii IPA
Former Senior Vice President, Bank of Hawaii
Martha Yamada, RN- Secretary
Former Supervisor, DOH Public Health Nursing
Kimo Alameda, PhD
CEO, Bay Clinic
CEO, Hilo Medical Center
Former Prosecuting Attorney
Kevin Kurohara, MD
Hawaii Island Healthcare, Inc.
State Lead, Blue Zones Hawai’i
Mike Sayama, PhD
Director of Strategy